Skip to main content

That itch to upgrade again - Ryzen 5 2600G?




Lately I've been collecting a lot of movies. Each week Maria and I set a small budget for personal "wants," much of mine has gone to DVDs and the occasional Blu-ray disc. I've been lucky to find some really great deals, but it's got to the point where I'm backed up because ripping all the media is taking more time than I have on evenings and weekends.

From what I've read ripping Blu-rays (unless you're also re-encoding them) is entirely dependent on the Blu-ray drive - there's little to be gained by upgrading to a new CPU/motherboard. I use a licensed copy of MakeMKV to rip my Blu-rays. Then I transfer the ripped mkv to our KODI machine and using HandbrakeCLI (the command-line version of Handbrake) to compress the large Blu-ray file to a smaller file. I could compress the file on my desktop, but my AMD A8-5600K APU doesn't have the same power as our KODI machine (which has an i7-2600 and is cooled with a Corsair H60 water cooler).

The real hold-up is ripping DVDs. Lately I've been trying to rip a number of collections. Here's a partial list of the backlog:

  • Magnum P.I. (all seasons)
  • Alias (season 1)
  • Homeland (season 5)
  • Corner Gas (season 3)
  • Family Guy (volumes 2 and 4)
  • The Shield (season 1)
  • Happy Days (season 1)
  • 50 Movie Pack - Warriors (50 movies across 13 dual-sided DVDs)
When I rip DVDs I use Handbrake. Some people rip using MakeMKV then as I do with Blu-rays encode with Handbrake (or HandbrakeCLI), but one advantage of ripping the DVDs with Handbrake is that I have a bit more control over the audio, subtitles and tagging of movies.

Ripping with Handbrake is partly dependent on the optical drive (ripping speed) but a lot more dependent on CPU power for the encoding portion of creating the file. This backup got me thinking about upgrading again.

A couple of months back I was looking at Intel processors, particularly because Intel processors have quick sync - a technology Handbrake can take advantage of to encode faster. The caveat to this is that in order to get quick sync working on Linux I would have to compile HandbrakeCLI from scratch with the experimental –enable-qsv switch. See the Handbrake quick sync documentation here for more information: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/video-qsv-options.html

The more I looked at the latest AMD Ryzen 2nd generation processors the less sense Intel processors made. A Ryzen 5 2600 has really impressive CPU performance compared to my A8-5600K. For a raw CPU power comparison see this Passmark CPU comparison between the two processors: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-A8-5600K-APU/3243vs1449

It's not exactly comparing apples to apples since when the A8-5600K CPU was new it was slightly over $110CDN and the Ryzen 5 2600 is anywhere between $186 to $250 CDN depending on whether there's a sale or not and the source. Still this is an over 9,000 CPU mark difference. The Ryzen 5 2600 appears to be 4 times the CPU of my A8-5600K APU.

Please note: I buy DVDs and Blu-ray discs from a number of sources that includes buying some new. I keep all my discs and only encourage ripping for media you own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our media encoding process

It occurred to me that I started posting to debugfs as if I just left off from my old domain (a story for another time). I had something in the order of 300 articles on the site so naturally posts on this site don't have the context they had on the old site. When I first started debugfs I talked about the Handbrake command-line script I run on our KODI server to shrink the size of Blu-rays (since they can be huge). I didn't really get into the details of the whole process and I've since changed how I rip and encode media. When I buy a DVD/Blu-ray the first step I take is to back-up the media using MakeMKV. MakeMKV is great for dumping both Blu-ray and DVD content to a .mkv file. I prefer .mkv over .mp4 because I love subtitles and the .mp4 container only lets you "burn" one subtitle into the file. Files in an .mkv container can contain as many subtitles as the DVD/Blu-ray has. I normally rip these on my desktop workstation which has a late 2013 AMD A8-5

I might be upgrading sooner than expected

It looks like I might be upgrading my home desktop workstation sooner than I wanted to. That system was put together December of 2014 and has: AMD A8-5600K APU Gigabyte  F2A85XM-D3H 16GB GSkill DDR3 1866MHz RAM 2GB NVidia GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost video card (currently a 1GB Radeon HD 6670 for testing) 500GB Samsung 860 SSD (Xubuntu Linux) 1TB WD Blue Drive (Windows 10) Corsair 430 Watt PSU The system has been relatively stable over the years but has recently started to develop a few issues: When recording audio in Xubuntu the audio is stuttering. This may be due to a Pulseaudio update since I don't have the issue in Windows 10 (and I do have the issue with multiple audio sources - web cam, microphone, and in several recording programs: audacity, obs studio). More concerning the system suddenly reboots in the middle of playing Diablo III. I suspect the power supply might be to fault, but if it's not this might mean more expensive purchases. I wanted to hold off to

Media centre management

Early Saturday morning I decided to start cleaning up files on our media centre. Awhile back I took inventory of all the movies on our media centre and entered them into a simple 3 field online database that included: the movie title, format of the movie (DVD/Blu-ray/VHS/Digita/Other), and the date of the movie. Over the past few months I've picked up a lot of movies that didn't make it into the online database. I use that database to make sure I don't already have a movie when I'm out looking for new movies. The first step was to take inventory of all the filenames of the movies on the system. All movies are stored under the directory /mnt/media/Movies. That directory is further sub-divided into 2 other directories /Movies/DVDs and /Movies/Blu-rays. Those folders contain both files and folders, but all the files and folders are archives of our DVDs and Blu-ray discs. In both folders I have a directory called 111. When I rip movies with MakeMKV they go into the appr